"Dallas Buyers Club" will be shown this Friday, July 11, at 6:30 p.m., as part of the monthly Center Cinema series at The Center, 12700 Southwest Highway, Palos Park.
"Dallas Buyers Club" features Matthew McConaughey as a homophobic man who gets AIDS and then starts helping those similarly afflicted.
A discussion follows the movie. Free popcorn is served. No fee is charged but registration is necessary. Call The Center at 361-3650.
class for families
An outdoor art class for families will be hosted at the Log Cabin Center for the Arts on Wednesday, July 16, from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. The Log Cabin Art Center is at 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park.
Instructor Heather Young invites families with children of any age to join her outdoor drawing workshop, in which participants will stroll about the gardens and woodland edges looking for interesting critters and plants to draw, straight from nature. The class fee is $8 per person and includes all supplies. Advance reservations are required. Call The Center at (361-3650.
Paste paper and Bookart workshops will be offered at The Log Cabin Center for the Arts on Wednesday afternoon, July 16 and 23, from 1 to 3:30 p.m., at 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park.
Artist Marge Boyd of Frankfort will teach adults to create paste papers, a fun and easy finger-painting-like project of swirling acrylic paints on papers to make intriguing designs.
The paste papers can be used for collage projects of your own, or as covers for the July 23 workshop in which Marge will help you create a small book of your own. The cost of each workshop day is $18 plus a $4 materials fee.
Advance registration is required. For more information, call The Center at 361-3650.
McCord Gallery & Cultural Center will present a workshop on Wednesday, July 16, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., with instructor Karen Snow.
In this workshop you will learn how to create an amazing design on a luxurious Habotai silk scarf. You can create a formal design by first ironing the scarf on to freezer paper, then drawing on the silk with different colored markers. For more abstract designs, alcohol-based inks in squeeze bottles create amazing designs when they are dripped or dropped on to the silk. Finally, isopropyl alcohol is sprayed over the inks, then heat set with an iron to make the colors permanent, and your lovely newest fashion accessory will be ready. Price is $45 or $35 for members of McCord.
McCord Gallery & Cultural Center is at 9602 W. Creek Road (129th and LaGrange), Palos Park. For more information, call 671-0648 or visit www.mccordgallery.org.
The Bridge Teen
• Fishing — 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. today (Thursday) The Bridge Teen Center, 15555 S. 71st Court, Orland Park, will host a program for students to spend the afternoon around a pond with some experienced fishermen as they teach them the tricks of the trade.
• Train Your Brain: Your Inner GPS — 3 to 4 p.m. today students will train themselves to become better problem-solvers and critical thinkers.
• Lastwatch and The Protest — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. July 11, weekly Friday Night Live event with live music from rock bands Lastwatch and The Protest with free food samples from Famous Dave’s.
• Deadbolts with Babycakes - 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. July 12, weekly High School Saturday event with live music from the Deadbolts and free pancakes from Babycakes.
• Craft Station: Inspirational Words and DIY Moustache 1 to 6 p.m. July 15, 16 and 17, a craft station will be set up during after-school hours for students to make their own yarn wrapped words or a DIY moustache at the craft station. No need to sign up ahead of time.
• DIY Manicure (girls only) —2 to 3 p.m. July 15, The Bridge Teen Center will teach students the proper way to give themselves a manicure and how to take care of their nails.
• Culinary: Spaghetti and Meatballs (guys only) 4:30 to 6 p.m. July 15, The Bridge will team up with Chef Dominic from Bartolini’s to hold a culinary program specifically for guys to teach them how to make spaghetti and meatballs.
• Soul Café: The Best Me, I Can Be (girls only) 2 to 3:30 p.m. July 16, The Bridge Teen Center will hold a program just for students to learn how to love and respect themselves.
• Martial Arts with Victory Martial Arts — 4:45 to 6 p.m. July 16 and 23, The Bridge Teen Center will team up with Victory Martial Arts to teach students how to protect themselves with Martial Arts. Each week will include short lessons on topics like integrity, perseverance, and confidence.
• Acoustic Guitar — 5 to 6 p.m. July 16 and 23, The Bridge Teen Center will hold a program to teach students the basics of the Acoustic Guitar.
• Dream Boards with TRU Teen Magazine — 2 to 3:30 p.m. July 17, The Bridge Teen Center will team up with TRU Teen Magazine to host a program to help students discover their purpose in life.
• The Essentials of Manhood — 3:30 to 5 p.m. July 17, The Bridge Teen Center will host a program to teach guys how to be a gentleman.
• Charcoal Portraits with Art-A-La-Carte - 4:30-6 p.m. July 17, Art-A-La-Carte program will teach students how to use charcoal as an art medium.
These free events are for teens in 7th through 12th grade. For more information, call 532-0500.