Written by Jackie Santora
The Center, 12700 Southwest Highway, Palos Park, will host its monthly Womantalk coffee hour and discussion on Tuesday, July 29, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Ladies are invited to join the discussion of Simple Abundance and other readings by Sarah Ban Breathnach. There is no cost, but advance reservations are required. Ladies are invited to bring a picnic lunch if they would like to stay after the discussion. Call The Center at 361-3650.
The Bridge Teen
• BTS: Chicagoland Speedway — 2 to 5 p.m. today, Thursday, July 24, The Bridge Teen Center, 15555 S. 71st Court, Orland Park, will take students to the Chicagoland Speedway to get up close and personal with the local race track.
• Soul Café: Turn Your Lows Into Highs — 3 to 5 p.m. today, a discussion for students to help them face the challenges in their lives.
• Tomorrow’s Alliance — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. July 25, weekly Friday Night Live event with live music from Tomorrow’s Alliance (rock) and a free ice cream sundae bar courtesy of Berkot’s.
• DJ Night - 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. July 26, weekly High School Saturday event with a live DJ and dance-off night with free pizza from Wooden Paddle Pizza.
• Canyon Hike — 1:15 to 4:30 p.m. July 29, a program with the Forest Preserve of Cook County to visit the only natural canyon in Cook County for a scenic hike.
• Creative Writing: Personal Essays — 2 to 4 p.m. July 29, students will learn to tell a story from their life in a way that connects with others.
• Lead U: True to You — 2 to 3:30 p.m. July 30, a leadership program focused on helping students get to know themselves better and discovering their strengths as a leader.
• Project Serve: Litter Pick — 5 to 6 p.m. July 30, a program to help keep the area around The Bridge clean. Students will earn community service hours.
• Gardening — 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. July 31, a program with Alsip Nursery to teach students the proper way to plant and maintain a garden.
• Flatbread Pizzas — 4 to 5:30 p.m. July 31, The Bridge will host a culinary program with Granite City to teach students how to make delicious flatbread pizza with homemade sauces.
These free events are for teens in 7th through 12th grade. For more information call 532-0500.
The Log Cabin Center for the Arts, 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park, will offer a fabric painting workshop on Wednesday, Aug. 6, from 1 to 3 p.m.
Quilting teacher Denise Dulzo will teach students to create marbled designs with inks on shaving cream to make interesting prints on fabric, which can later be used in quilts or other sewing or art projects.
The workshop costs $14 plus $2 for supplies. Advance registration is required. Call The Center at 361-3650.
Craft, flea market, and garage sale vendors are sought for the annual Fall Festival at The Children’s Farm to be held on Saturday, Sept. 27.
More than 2,000 people usually attend the festival, which features games, kid’s crafts, hayrides, horse rides, entertainment, food concession, and root beer saloon. Vendor spaces cost $25 each. The farm is located at 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park. Call 361-3650.