Menu

Worth approves license for medical marijuana dispensary

  • Written by Sharon L. Filkins

It is official. A business license for a medical marijuana dispensary, Windy City Cannabis, located at 11425 S. Harlem Ave., was approved unanimously at the Tuesday Village Board Meeting in Worth. The facility is expected to be open by late January.

The Village’s Economic Development Commission recommended the license approval contingent upon all inspections being completed and in compliance with all village codes and ordinances.

The Worth location is the fourth facility to be opened by Windy City Cannabis. The other locations are in Homewood, Posen and Justice.

A company representative at the meeting issued an invitation to the board or any interested residents to attend an open house at the Homewood Facility on Saturday, Dec. 19. “It will be the last time any non-medical person can enter the facilities,” he said.

Trustee Peter Kats asked if any Worth residents would be hired at the new facility. “This was promised to us when your company made a presentation to our board,” he said.

The representative replied that two Worth residents had been interviewed and both were offered a position. “So far, we have only had one acceptance of the offer,” he said.

In the public comment portion of the meeting, resident Jack McGrath asked what the village hoped to gain from the approval of this new business.

Mayor Mary Werner replied that the facility would possibly be drawing people who have never been to Worth. “It is our hope that this will be a boon for our businesses. Hopefully, people coming to the dispensary will eat in our restaurants, shop, buy gas, etc. We believe this business will be a true blessing to the people who really need it as well as a boost to our business climate.”

Also approved was an ordinance amendment calling for a three percent increase in the village’s water rate. The rate increase, per 1,000 gallons of water used by consumers, is: for all business or commercial uses, $7.93 in 2016 (an increase from $7.70 in 2015); for all uses not otherwise provided including residential uses, $7.87 (an increase from $7.64 in 2015) and for churches, schools and nonprofit institutions, $7.34 (an increase from $7.13 in 2015).

The ordinance states that the rate increase supports the village’s efforts to provide necessary services to its residents and businesses and to promote public health, safety and welfare.

Other board action included an approval of an ordinance levying taxes for all corporate purposes for the village for the fiscal year commencing on May 1, 2016 and ending on April 30, 2017; and approval of a seven-year cable franchise agreement with ComCast.

A business license was approved for Mobile 1, a cellphone retail and repair shop at 10730 S. Harlem.

The mayor also announced that the village had entered a two-year agreement with Clear Channel Outdoor Advertising for free advertising on its digital display on the west side of the I-294 Tri-State Tollway, 150 feet south of 107th Street.

Village Clerk Bonnie Price announced that 30 recruits from the Great Lakes Naval Base will be arriving at the Marrs-Meyer American Legion Hall for dinner on Christmas Day. She invited residents to line the street leading to the Hall (Depot Avenue) to welcome them to Worth. For further information, contact the Village Hall at (708) 448-1181.

Part-time Evergreen Park firefighter dies fighting Chicago blaze

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

 

Fire departments and communities from Evergreen Park to Palos Park are mourning the loss of Chicago firefighter/paramedic Daniel Capuano, 42, whose wake is being held today at St. Rita High School in Chicago, followed by his funeral tomorrow.

In addition to being a 15-year veteran of the Chicago Fire Department, where he was assigned to Tower Ladder 34 in the South Chicago neighborhood, Capuano also was a part-time Evergreen Park firefighter for the past 16 years.

The former resident of Palos Park, who began his career with the Palos Fire Protection District based there, was killed while battling a blaze in a vacant Chicago warehouse early Monday morning.

          Chicago Fire Department officials said Capuano was searching through thick smoke on the second floor of the building when he suffered fatal injuries, falling through an unmarked elevator shaft in the warehouse. According to city officials, illegal work, including removal of the elevator, was being done in the building without permits.

          He was taken by ambulance to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead.

“It’s a very sad day here,” said Evergreen Park Fire Chief Ronald Kleinhaus on Monday. “This is the first time something like this has happened to us.”

Kleinhaus and other members of the department had just returned from a visit to Capuano’s wife, Julie, a Chicago Public Schools teacher, and their three children in their nearby Mount Greenwood home. Their daughter, Amanda, 16, attends Mother McAuley High School, while Nick, 12, and Andrew, 13, are students at Queen of Martyrs School in Evergreen Park, a few blocks from their house.

“It has been very, very rough here,” said Queen of Martyrs Principal Kathleen Tomaszewski. “We’ve had two parents pass away in the past week.”

In addition to knowing the Capuanos through the school, Tomaszewski grew up with Julie Capuano in Chicago’s Wrightwood neighborhood.

“It is very sad. They are a very faithful, very wonderful family,” she said.

“Dan got his start with us,” said Palos Fire Chief James Graben . ”He went through our fire academy and EMT training here,” he said, and stayed with the department for about eight years.

“It’s devastating news for all of us,” said Graben, a 35-year veteran of the department who remembers working with Capuano himself. He noted that his parents, Michael and Jacqueline Capuano, still live in Palos Park.

“We’re all affected by this tragic loss. A lot of our guys go on to other departments. Many who are here now also worked with him in Evergreen Park, too,” he explained. He noted that prior to going to Evergreen Park, Capuano also worked for the Lemont Fire Department.

While there, Capuano was one of four paramedics credited with saving the life of a caddy on the 15th fairway Cog Hill Golf Course, using a portable defibrillator to restart the man's heart.

          In addition to his wife, children and parents, Capuano is also survived by two brothers, one of whom lives in Palos Heights.

          His wake is scheduled from 3 to 9 p.m. today, Thursday, at St. Rita High School Chapel, 7740 S. Western Ave., Chicago. The funeral will be there at 10 a.m. tomorrow, followed by interment at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.

Chicago Firefighters Union Local 2 and the Ende, Menzer, Walsh & Quinn Retirees' Widows' and Children’s Assistance Fund have established a memorial fund to benefit the family at BMO Harris Bank. The bank's locations are accepting cash or check donations from customers and the general public.

Donations can also be mailed to: EMWQ Fund, Attn: Daniel V. Capuano Memorial Fund, 20 S. Clark St., Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60603. Checks should be made payable to: Daniel V. Capuano Memorial Fund. Donations are also accepted online.

Big Pappa's to prepare big Christmas meals for less fortunate

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

 

Photo by Dermot Connolly

Sandi DiGangi holds one of the hundreds of turkeys she will be preparing for free holiday meals for the 6th Annual “Feed the Needy” Christmas Dinner she will be serving up in her Big Pappa’s Gyros restaurant at 10806 S. Cicero Ave., Oak Lawn, on Christmas Day. She is also collecting toys that will be given to children with the meals.

Big Pappa’s to prepare big meals on Christmas Day for less fortunate

By Dermot Connolly

       A serious health scare earlier this year has not stopped Sandi DiGangi, owner of Big Pappa’s Gyros in Oak Lawn, from going on with her 6th Annual Christmas Dinner to feed the needy and working poor.

       DiGangi said that even a family tragedy, her mother-in-law’s death on Thanksgiving Day, did not prevent her from bringing 90 Thanksgiving meals to homebound seniors in Oak Lawn.

    That was just practice for the big event on Christmas when she expects to feed at least 3,200 families, providing them with a traditional home-cooked holiday meal of turkey and the trimmings, as well as presents for any children in the house.

     That number has grown from the 750 meals served when she and her family began the tradition of serving free holiday meals in the restaurant at 10806 S. Cicero Ave. in 2010.

     They went through 236 turkeys last year.

    DiGangi considered selling her business earlier this year after being misdiagnosed with throat cancer. She was hospitalized twice for several weeks at a time for other health concerns, had two operations and was told she was going to die at one point before she gradually recovered.

    “I’m going to be doing this as long as I am alive,” she said, giving thanks to her children, Tony, 20; Michaline, 17; and Nicolette, 14, for pitching in and never complaining about not having a holiday at home.

      While her health battles did not keep her down, DiGangi acknowledged that both monetary and gift donations are down considerably over previous years. She pointed to a counter lined with gifts, noting that in past years they had a table full by now.

       Last year, in addition to donations, she added $5,000 of her own money.

      While this is her sixth year serving the meals out of her Oak Lawn restaurant, DiGangi and her family have been volunteering at homeless shelters and elsewhere for the past 19 years. She said she does it all in honor of her son, Gary, 5, who died in a fire in 1995.

     “I was able to help those in need,” said DiGangi, who remembers growing up poor herself in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood. “God always blessed me, and this is what Christmas is all about, giving back, especially to the children,” she said.

     The restaurant owner said that 1,300 people have already signed up for the meals, and she is expecting to serve at least as many as they did last year.

   “We stopped counting after 3,200,” she said. Local volunteers, often Oak Lawn police officers, deliver some of the meals to homes in the Oak Lawn area, but she said that in addition to nearby communities such as Chicago, Burbank and Summit, many people come from as far as Orland Park and Park Forest to pick up meals.

 “There will be a line around the block, there always is,” she said, explaining that people are asked to come between noon and 6 p.m., but they often are handing out meals up until 9 p.m.

   “I figure if people come from as far away as Park Forest, they need a meal. People don’t realize, a lot of these people have absolutely nothing. Food is expensive,” she said. “And every child will get at least one gift. I tell them Santa stopped by here with their gifts, because they might not have gotten any at home.”

Monetary donations and unwrapped gifts for children may be dropped off at the restaurant. Donations may also be sent through a GoFundMe site set up for her by a supporter at www.gofundme.com/bigpappasxmas/

Mayor casts deciding vote on video gaming cafés in Palos Hills

  • Written by Michael Gilbert

The controversy over allowing video gaming cafés in Palos Hills has not subsided in the last month.

Four weeks after Mayor Gerald Bennett cast the deciding vote to break a 5-5 deadlock to create a new classification in the liquor ordinance for the gaming cafés, the mayor was once again called into duty.

This time it was to break a 5-5 stalemate last week to approve licenses for two gaming cafés – Stella’s Place and Durbin’s – to come to town.

In the moments prior to Bennett’s vote, Ald. Marty Kleefisch (1st) argued the motion made by Ald. Dawn Nowak (5th) to consider the licenses for Stella’s and Durbin’s should be ruled “out of order.”

Kleefisch’s claim was that back on Oct. 15, Nowak made a motion to have City Attorney George Pappas draft an ordinance creating a license in the liquor ordinance for gaming cafés that was ultimately defeated by a 5-4 margin. At the very next meeting on Nov. 5, Nowak, now with all 10 aldermen present, made another motion to have Pappas draft an ordinance – which came down to Bennett’s deciding vote.

Kleefisch stated that on Nov. 5 Nowak should have asked the board to “reconsider” the ordinance rather than make a make a motion to request Pappas draft the ordinance. He argued that what he believed to be incorrect wording be ruled an improper motion and out of order.

“You don’t ask our attorney to draft motions on motions that have failed,” Kleefisch said following the city council meeting on Dec. 3. “The way I interpret Robert’s Rules (of Order) she could have made a motion to reconsider the vote that failed. The motion Ald. Nowak brought up on Nov. 5 was an improper motion and should have been ruled out of order.”

Bennett disputed Kleefisch’s claim and said there are no rules in parliamentary procedure that prohibit an elected official from bringing back a motion as long as it does not take place at the same meeting the motion was originally voted on.  

“The only time you talk about the reconsideration of a motion (cannot take place) is during a meeting in which it was voted down,” Bennett told Kleefisch. “Any alderman has the right to bring back a motion that was voted down at a past meeting.

“There is no limitation on the fact that (Nowak’s) action originally failed and then her coming back (with the same action) at a following meeting.”

The two continued to debate the issue for nearly 10 minutes with Bennett on two separate occasions asking Kleefisch if he wanted to “sit up here,” meaning the mayor’s chair. Eventually Ald. Ricky Moore (4th) called for a vote on Nowak’s motion with Aldermen Moore, Nowak, Joe Marrotta (4th), Pauline Stratton (2nd) and Mike Lebarre (3rd) voting in favor of approving licenses for Stella’s and Durbin’s.

Aldermen Kleefisch, Joan Knox (1st), Mark Brachman (2nd), A.J. Pasek (3rd) and Mary Ann Schultz (5th) voted against.

Representatives of Stella’s previously told the council they have plans to open on 111th Street and Southwest Highway in the building that formerly housed Hills Pharmacy. The café operated by Durbin’s would be located in the strip mall in the 10100 block of Roberts Road.

“I think these are going to be upscale facilities – a nice addition to the city,” said Nowak, who was unsure when either video gaming café would open for business. “I think a lot of people think video gaming will bring in the riff raff but the proposal Stella’s presented to us was a very nice, upscale facility.”

Kleefisch said he believed if Nowak’s motion was ruled out of order that it was “possible” the item would be prohibited from coming up for discussion again. He also understood that may not have been the case.

“I realize I may lose the main motion, but I want to the procedure to that point to be correct,” Kleefisch said.

Pappas declined to comment on the issue when asked by The Reporter after the meeting.

Release of funds gives local governments get some holiday cheer

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

 

Municipalities throughout Illinois received a holiday present of sorts on Monday when the state Senate unanimously passed a bill that Gov. Bruce Rauner promptly signed, releasing $3.1 billion in funds that had been held up since July due to the ongoing budget impasse in Springfield.

The legislation, which was approved by the House last week, will reportedly send $1 billion to lottery winners whose payments had been held up. But it was the revenue from local gaming, as well as $582 million in motor fuel taxes that was due to local governments, $77 million for local 911 emergency centers, in addition to local use taxes, a percentage of sales tax revenue, that local mayors are most looking forward to receiving.

“We have a phone call in to the state comptroller (Leslie Munger) to see whether or not we can expect to receive the funds this fiscal year, ending Dec. 31, or whether we will have to wait until next year,” said Chicago Ridge Mayor Charles Tokar.

He said that the MFT funds, and revenue from video gaming and other monies his village is owed, could amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

“We have a budget hearing next Tuesday, and we want to know if we can expect a lump sum or whether it will be coming in dribs and drabs,” said the mayor.

“I’m grateful that they were at least able to do this much, but I hope the guys in Springfield will be able to come to some agreement on the entire budget,” added Tokar, who has stressed at recent village board meetings the difficulty of finalizing the village’s budget for next year when cuts to the funding municipalities get from the Local Government Distributive Fund are considered likely in any eventual state budget.

The Orland Park Village Board approved the 2016 budget following a brief hearing on Monday, and Mayor Daniel McLaughlin said whether or not state funding would be allocated didn’t play into it.

“We were conservative, but we figured that they have to give us the same amount as last year. State senators and representatives know we depend on those funds,” he said.

“I’m just glad to see some movement toward agreement. Hopefully, this will spur them on to do more,” McLaughlin added.

“All our local governments are happy about this,” said Palos Hills Mayor Gerald Bennett, who is president of the Southwest Suburban Conference of Mayors. “Hopefully, the funds will start coming to us in January.

“The hold-up of these funds affected 1,300 cities and villages around the state,” Bennett said. “It took a lot of work to get this done, and to get (legislators) to see that this money was never part of the state budget, and shouldn’t have been included in it.”

“This is a win-win situation for both sides in Springfield. Whether it spurs them on to come to agreement on the budget is debatable, but before long, they will have to start work on the following year’s budget so it will get convoluted,” Bennett noted.

“We’re relieved to know that they are releasing our funds, our taxpayers’ money,” said Palos Heights Mayor Robert Straz. He said his city expected to receive perhaps about $200,000, including MFT funds and the portion of the local use tax.

Like Orland Park, he said his city was not depending on the state action to balance the budget.

“We have very good staff members who go through every line item. We try to live within our means,” Straz said.