Menu

Marist makes a lot of noise against Brother Rice

  • Written by Phil Arvia

Page 1 BR 23

Photo by Jeff Vorva

Brother Rice sophomore Brendan Coughlan receives an earful of noise as he inbounds the ball in front of the Marist student section Tuesday night in a 66-45 loss to the RedHawks.

By Phil Arvia

Correspondent

The last 28 times they’ve met on the basketball court, Marist and Brother Rice have 14 wins each. But as of Tuesday, that was a particularly meaningless stat for RedHawks seniors Chamar Hawkins and Kevin Lerma.

Hawkins scored 19 points and Lerma had 12 points and a game-high seven rebounds to lead Marist to a 66-45 win over the visitors in front of a crowd estimated at 1,300.

“When I go to college, even when I get grown, I can look back and say I beat Rice my senior year,” Lerma said. “I beat ‘em [three] times.’’

Hawkins smiled wide as he pondered three varsity wins and one on the sophomore level over the Crusaders.

“It’s been a long time coming,” he said. “I’ve never lost to Rice.”

The Crusaders (11-8), playing their fifth game in 12 days and losing their fourth in that stretch, were never closer than eight points after Marist (15-3) closed out the second quarter with a 9-2 run. Hawkins highlighted that burst with a rebound and coast-to-coast sprint for a dunk, a floater in the lane and a nifty look into the post to find former Brother Rice player Morgan Taylor (9 points) for a lay-in.

Maurice Commander added 14 points and David Daniels 10 for the balanced RedHawks, who 

went 26-of-47 (55 percent) from the floor for the evening.

“I’m really proud of our kids’ effort,” Marist coach Gene Nolan said. “We had seven turnovers for the night. We took care of the ball, we were efficient offensively.

“We got good looks and if we weren’t able to make those good looks, we got offensive rebounds.”

“That’s how we do it,” Hawkins said. “We have chemistry. We believe in what we do as teammates and brothers.”

The RedHawks were equally tough on the defensive end. Mike Shepski and Josh Niego, who entered the game averaging 15.3 and 14.8 points per game, respectively, were held to 11 and 7 on a combined 7-of-19 shooting. For the game, the Crusaders were 16-of-36 (44 percent) from the floor.

Offensively, we struggled, struggled, struggled — they guarded the heck out of Shepski and Niego, give them credit,” Rice coach Bobby Frasor said. “Defensively, we weren’t very good either.

“They out-hustled us, out-toughed us. When you let them get second-chance points and rebounds, it’s going to be a tough night.”

Trailing by 10 at the half, Rice opened the third with a bucket to get within eight, but Hawkins capped a 7-0 run with a three-pointer  while falling to the floor in front of the RedHawks Rowdies cheering section in what may have been the signature moment of the evening.

“I don’t think it was the game itself,” Hawkins said. “It was the support of the fans — that was the big advantage to this game.”

Worth medical marijuana dispensary opening after delays

  • Written by Joe Boyle

 

The new medical marijuana dispensary in Worth has past final inspections and is scheduled to open this weekend.

“They were delayed a week because they were waiting for furniture,” said Worth Mayor Mary Werner. “But they should be ready Friday. But once the product is delivered, they will only open their doors for patients who have appointments.”

The mayor said that a lot of work had to be done during the last month on the former children’s clothing store at 11425 S. Harlem Ave. Plumbing had to be inspected behind the dry wall. The Worth Palos Fire Department District also had to make their inspections before the dispensary opened, added Werner.

This is the first medical marijuana dispensary to open in this region. Another dispensary opened earlier this month in Justice. Windy City Cannabis operates both the Justice and Worth dispensaries. The Justice facility is in another region.

Werner said that the opening was delayed from the original plans. The project was stalled last year after Bruce Rauner replaced Pat Quinn as governor. The new administration reviewed the permits and gave their approval later in 2015.

Nearly two years ago, many Worth residents had concerns about a medicinal marijuana dispensary in the village. Speculation ranged from the building attracting drug addicts and increasing crime in the area.

Those concerns were alleviated through a series of meetings that were held. The marijuana is designed to alleviate pain from patients who have a variety of ailments. Illinois law has 39 conditions and diseases that already qualify for medicinal marijuana use with a doctor’s signature. Cancer, glaucoma, HIV, hepatitis C and multiple sclerosis already qualifies.

Werner is confident that the dispensary will be a success. Some published reports have stated that some of the dispensaries that recently opened are lacking patients. The reason for that is that some diseases do not qualify under Illinois law for medicinal marijuana, some officials point out

The mayor said the community began to support the idea after a year of debate. A town hall meeting held in September at the Worth Village Hall drew a large crowd who were mostly supportive.

“The first thing we had to do was create an ordinance to allow a dispensary to come here. Back then it was illegal,” said Werner. “The ordinance had to be passed. We talked to a lot of people who had concerns but we answered their questions. Our board approved it unanimously.”

The dispensary could provide more revenue for Worth. More than 3,000 patients with Ilinois-issued ID cards were able to buy medical marijuana for the first time this fall. Worth is one of four locations in the south and southwest suburbs that will have a medical cannabis facility. The other facilities besides Justice is Homewood and Posen. The Posen location is also scheduled to open by the end of January.

Illinois is the 23rd state to legalize medical marijuana, although the drug remains illegal under federal law. More information or to register, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Gospel singer entertains at Advocate's King Day celebration

  • Written by Claudia Parker

 

 

 

 

 

 

The staff at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn honored the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as Rev. Smokie Norful, the Grammy Award winning Gospel singer, performed Monday during the 24th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Multicultural Taste Celebration.

     “Over the last 24 years, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Multicultural Taste Celebration Committee has planned and executed a multicultural/spiritual celebration held in honor of the life and work of Dr. King,” said the Rev. Richard James, the ACMC staff chaplain.

   The committee consists of 10 members, eight Advocate employees and two honorary members whom are retired.

The annual celebration is held in honor of King, who was the driving force behind the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. He gave his famous “I Have a Dream” speech before a massive group of civil rights marchers who gathered around the Lincoln memorial in Washington, D.C. on Aug. 28, 1963. He was shot and killed by an assassin on the ledge of a Memphis hotel on April 4, 1968. He was 39 years old.

James said the first celebration back in 1995 had a modest 19 participants, but it’s progressively grown. The Robert N. Stein, M.D. Auditorium could have been mistaken for a sanctuary from all the handclaps and halleluiahs heard throughout Norful’s heartfelt and sometime humorous message. The 300- seat auditorium could not accommodate the crowd. People lined the walls and stood in doorframes poking their heads through.

   Ken Lukhard, president of Advocate Christ Medical Center, was moved by Norful. He clapped his hands to the tune of his music and nodded his head through his message.

   “Where I’m from, this is what they call church. I’m going to take a drive out to Bolingbrook to visit your church within a few weeks,” Lukhard told Norful after shaking his hand afterward. “That was excellent.”  

Norful garnered international success after three of his albums, “I Need You Now,” “Nothing Without You” and “Smokie Norful Live, “obtained number one status on the Billboard charts. His trophy case includes awards named, Steller, Dove, Soul Train, NAACP and a Grammy.

He has sold over two million albums worldwide and was Billboard’s Gospel Artist of the Year twice, in 2003 and 2004. Norful composes for himself and numerous other Gospel artists. He also a Senior Pastor of Victory Cathedral Worship Center in Bolingbrook.

     Lukhard’s sentiment was echoed from various others who patronized the event. John Poindexter, of Chicago and self-proclaimed musician, said he used to work with Norful years ago. “It was good seeing him, he did great. You know, I know Smokie personally. We used to serve together in music ministry at Greater Institutional, off of 78th and Indiana. He played piano and I played drums,” said Poindexter.

According to Poindexter, Norful has remained grounded. “I haven’t seen Smokie in over 15 years, but I spoke to him today and he remembered me. He was just as gracious and humble as he’s always been.”

   Each participant received a complimentary copy of Norful’s latest CD entitled, “Smokie Norful Forever Yours.” He said he wanted everyone to know he’d personally autographed each one. “It took hours,” he told James. “I signed over 300.”

   Maryann Valdez, of Tinley Park, said this was her first time she heard Smokie Norful. “My sister Vicky invited me. She’s on the committee. I had no idea what to expect. I was mesmerized. He’s a dynamic speaker, I thoroughly enjoyed him,” said Valdez.

     Vicky Tanulanond-James is the sister Valdez is referring to. She is also the spouse of Rev. Richard James. They act as co-chairs. He secures the speaker and she heads the Taste.

     “The Taste includes homemade ethnic dishes donated by hospital associates, including 16 local restaurants and vendors whom also make donations,” said James.

In total, James said more than 500 people circulate through the multicultural Taste. “We do this with the help of our committee and several volunteers within and beyond the hospital, with support from Media Services, Public Relations, Food and Nutrition, Public Safety, Environmental Services, Building Operations, and Communications.” Careful not to exclude anyone, James said, “We also get help from the Culture of Inclusion Committee, we focus on uniting our associates, physicians, volunteers, patients, and families in rejoicing in their own ethnicity and commonality.”

“This Dr. King celebration acts as a reminder of how far we’ve come and also, the work that still lay ahead,” added James.

Lukhard was forthcoming about what this event means to him.

“Dr. King’s legacy is one that is iconic and timeless. Each year I think it can’t get any better and then it does. Even in this bitter cold, people still came out. Look at this crowd,” he said staring into a full auditorium. “We celebrate diversity here at ACMC. We take initiative to educate on all faiths. It is our objective to deliver world class care on a foundation of faith.”

 

Advocate Christ's East Tower provides state-of-the-art services

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

Less than 24 hours after the eight-story East Tower at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn officially opened on Sunday, the first baby was born in the new birthing center on the second floor, which is dedicated to women and children services.

Officials of the hospital at 4440 W. 95th St., said Chicago resident Crystal Baker gave birth to Leonardo, weighing in at 8 pounds, 10 ounces, at 12:38 a.m. Monday.

But before he got to take a look around, Oak Lawn officials, residents and others connected to the hospital in some way were given guided tours on Jan. 6, following a reception and ribbon-cutting ceremony of the facility.

The eight-story building has 357,000 square feet of space, and cost $222 million.

Outside the interfaith Molenhouse Chapel on the first floor is a prayer wall, where prayer requests can be slipped into pockets of light between translucent panels.

The first floor also includes a lactation center, with consultation rooms as well as a retail center where breast pumps and other equipment new mothers may need can be rented. Clothing for mothers and babies may also be purchased.

In addition to labor and delivery suites, including eight for high-risk patients, the second floor has four C-section surgical suites. Three of the surgical suites are equipped to deliver singlets and twins, and the fourth is big enough for triplets.

The second-floor birthing center also features family waiting rooms, and a play area for young children. A private lounge, called Jane’s Room, was donated by the Jane B. Wellstein Memorial Fund for use by families grieving the loss of an infant.

A pedestrian bridge across Kostner Avenue links the second floor with the newly built Garage A, which has 780 parking spaces. The floor is also connected to the existing neonatal intensive care unit.

The third through fifth floors are mechanical space, while the sixth floor is a continuation of women and children services, and houses 36 post-partum delivery rooms and the infant nursery.

“The 12 beds in the nursery are a relatively small number, because the goal is for healthy babies to stay with mothers in their rooms,” said tour guide DeAnna Malloy.

Family lounges on the sixth, seventh and eight floors, have vending machines, showers and lockers, allowing families to take breaks from the patient rooms but remain on the same floor.

The seventh and eighth floors house 42 private intensive care rooms, and 30 -private “step-down” rooms, for those transitioning from intensive care to a general unit. The seventh floor is the medical intensive care unit, while the eighth is for cardiovascular thoracic ICU, for heart- and lung-transplant patients.

What amazed most visitors taking tours was the Smart Technology available in every room. Among other things, electronics in every room can read the IDs worn by all the medical professionals, and each time they come in their visits are recorded. Their names are also displayed on large computer screens in the rooms, so patients can see them, and the visits are automatically recorded on the patients’ medical records. Patients can also use the computers to go online.

Lights outside the rooms alert nursing staff if they are being called, and change color also when nurses enter them, making it easier for a whole floor to be surveyed.

“The only thing that could make it better would be self-making beds, and self-cleaning bedpans,” joked retired Dr. Carolyn Smeltzer, 91, who toured the facility last Friday following the ribbon-cutting.

Back on the first floor, there is also an updated Café 95 restaurant that is open to the public. In addition to featuring a wide-range of healthy food choices, it has Starbucks coffee, available at a service window in the hallway.

Kenneth Lukhard, the president of the hospital, said the unveiling was the culmination of a 10-year project that will put an end to overcrowding. He pointed out that the expansion plans were initially unveiled in 2008, but were put on hold until 2010 due to the downturn in the economy.

He said expansion plans began with the groundbreaking on Aug. 19, 2013.

Lukhard said that the 10-year growth plan that began with the opening of the new outpatient pavilion in 2014, will conclude with the expansion of the emergency services area using space freed up due to the East Tower opening. But aside from a new emergency room entrance, the exterior work has been completed.

The president said that due to overcrowding for virtually three months out of the year, the trauma center has been on bypass, unavailable to take in emergency patients. But that will no longer be necessary.

“We are thrilled that (the construction) is winding down. We are so appreciative of the good partner you have been to this village,” said Oak Lawn Mayor Sandra Bury.

“The complexity of what you have done here is astounding to me,” said the mayor, who is an optometrist. “We are bursting with pride and joy in Oak Lawn,” she added.

2 charged in Dunkin' Donuts robbery

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

 

The next court date is set for Feb. 3 in Bridgeview for two Chicago men who were charged following the Jan. 5 armed robbery of a Dunkin’ Donuts restaurant at 6408 W. 95th St., in Chicago Ridge.

Chicago residents Alexander M. Harris, 18, and Darrius J. McLendon, 19, were being held in Cook County Jail. They are both charged with armed robbery, while Harris faces an additional count of discharging a weapon during a robbery.

Harris, of the 1100 block of East 47th Street, was also charged in a robbery that occurred Dec. 29 in the parking lot of a Party City store located beside the Dunkin’ Donuts, at 6440 W. 95th St.

In the Jan. 5 incident, according to witnesses, Harris came inside the restaurant about 3:06 p.m. wearing a dark hoodie and displaying a handgun. Police said he emptied two cash registers and fired one shot into the ceiling before fleeing outside, escaping in a black 2004 Pontiac driven by McLendon.

Oak Lawn police stopped the suspects in a black Pontiac G8 at 87th Street and Central Avenue, and witnesses identified them both. A black semi-automatic weapon and more than $500 in cash were found in the car.

McLendon, who had no criminal record, remained in Cook County Jail earlier this week on $250,000 bond .

Harris was being held there on $750,000 bond for the Dunkin’ Donuts robbery, and $250,000 bond for the Dec. 29 incident. In that case, he allegedly tapped on a woman’s car window with his handgun, and demanded her wallet and cellphone.

Harris also has a pending misdemeanor case for criminal damage to property in Chicago.

According to reports both McLendon and Harris are considered suspects in other area robberies, and police in Chicago Ridge, Oak Lawn are investigating.