Menu

Worth’s 5K run idea scratched

  • Written by Bob Rakow

The Worth Park District has put the brakes on plans to hold a 5K run at Water’s Edge Golf Course.
“We thought it was in (the district’s) best interest to withdraw the request,” Park District Director Carlo Capalbo said.
The park district vetoed the proposed September run last Wednesday, one day after the Worth Village Board held an extensive debate on the plan.
At that meeting, trustees Tedd Muersch Jr. and Mary Rhein voiced strong opposition to a 5K run to be held at the village-owned golf course on Sept. 14.
The park district proposed the early morning run as part of the village’s centennial celebration after the Centennial Commission pitched the idea in December, Capalbo said.
Muersch and Rhein said the course would lose significant amount of money if it was closed on a Sunday morning to accommodate the run. Rhein said some golfers are on the course before 6 a.m. on Sundays, and closing the facility for a run would cost the village thousands of dollars.
“I didn’t think it was a good idea,” said Muersch, who added that a golf event would have been a better idea than a run.
“Marketing [the golf course] to runners doesn’t make sense to me,” he said.
Mayor Mary Werner voiced support for the event, saying it would promote the both the golf course and its restaurant, the Edge.
Capalbo said the time was not right for the park district to oversee the run, especially because the district sponsors other events in the fall, including Fall Fest and the haunted house.
Additionally, the park district has assumed control of the annual Worth Days celebration, a festival previously run by the village. The district is expected to finalize an agreement with the village to assume control of annual festival at its March 19 board meeting, Capalbo said.
“It just seems there were a lot of questions associated with it,” Capalbo said.
He added that the park district would prefer to sponsor an annual 5K run rather than a one-time event.
“If we’re going to move into this, we’d want it to be a continual thing,” he said. “We’re not going to say we’re done with having a 5K in this town. It could always happen in the future.”
Capalbo said sponsoring a run would require extensive planning and marketing, including a route that would not have minimal impact on the village’s major intersections.

First Oak Lawn COW meeting runs smoothly

  • Written by Bob Rakow

Perhaps Trustee Tim Desmond best summarized the progress the Oak Lawn Village Board made Tuesday night during its first committee of the whole meeting.
“It seems like our committee of the whole is working already. We’re sharing ideas,” Desmond said during a discussion of the village’s jobs program, which he initiated after the election.
Trustees got through most of the committee agenda, but cut the session short to keep the subsequent village board meeting on schedule.
The COW meeting started with the establishment of some ground rules.
Trustees agreed that major initiatives proposed by department heads, committees or trustees should come before the committee for discussion before going to the village board. Conversely, normal business items—the approval of a stop sign, for example—should not be delayed at committee.
“I like the concept that we just deal with the bigger issues,” Trustee Terry Vorderer said.
Trustees, however, will not be prevented from raising an issue during the “new” or “old” business segments of the meeting.
“Everything should be open for discussion,” Vorderer said.
Trustee Mike Carberry said the committee meetings, which will be held at 6:15 p.m. before the second meeting of the month, also will help during the annual budget approval process.
Trustee Bob Streit, who recently raised concerns about the committee meetings not being televised, did not reintroduce the issue or comment on the structure of the meetings.
Video gaming and liquor licenses was the primary topic of discussion at the committee meeting, as trustees worked to gain greater control over the number of bars and restaurants that have the video poker and slot machines.
The concern was raised about one month ago when the board approved a liquor license for Big Pappa’s Gyros, 10806 S. Cicero Ave. The owner of the restaurant told the board that she sought the license in order to install video gaming machines.
A liquor license is required to install the machines, and many businesses see gaming as a means to generate additional revenue. Businesses receive 35 percent of monthly receipts from the machines.
“The question is, ‘How do you regulate video gaming?’” village attorney Pat Connelly said.
One way, Connolly said, would be the institution of two types of liquor licenses: one that permits video gaming and one that does not. That structure would allow trustees to grant a liquor license without automatically giving the recipient approval to install gaming machines.
Trustees agreed to consider that idea further at a future meeting.
Bury said she favored the proposal.
“I thought we couldn’t control or limit it in any way,” Bury said.
Connolly said a business license tax assessed on establishments featuring video gaming is another way to control it as is an ordinance that would regulate the distance between establishments with gaming.
Cooper’s Hawk coming
Bury promised a “wonderful” announcement for the village when she spoke to a local League of Women’s Voters group on Saturday and on Tuesday, the board approved to restructure its liquor code to allow Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurant to move into the Stoney Creek Prominade development at Civero Avenue and 111th Street.
The restaurant has locations in seven states. In Illinois, it is located in Orland Park, Burr Ridge, Arlington Heights, Naperville, South Barrington and Wheeling. There is one planned to open in Springfield by the end of the year.

Jeff Vorva's Editor's Notebook -- Bury says Oak Lawn blog ‘motivated by hate’

J

 

jeff columnThe gloves are off.
  Until now, Oak Lawn Mayor Sandra Bury has not said much publicly about the anonymous website that I affectionately call the Cowardly Blog.
  The blog was started by former mayor Dave Heilmann last year but he said he no longer has time for it. For a long time, people had suspicions and educated guesses as to who was still running it but the bloggers insisted on keeping it a secret. They thought that taking shots at people behind the mask of anonymity is noble and a new style of journalism that makes their stories more important than the byline.
  That is warped logic but if that’s what you are going to hang your hat on...
  The Cowardly Blog does come up with some solid journalistic work because it has some great inside information. But it also takes a few too many liberties with its own ethics and Bury, who has become the largest target, said it no longer bothers her.
  But I think it still bothers her.
  When Bury and Worth Mayor Mary Werner were guests at the League of Women Voters of the Palos-Orland area Saturday morning at the Palos Heights Library, the two mayors were asked about how tough it was to deal with negative campaigning against them.
  That’s when Bury took off the gloves. She said that she is still getting attacked through this blog and named names.
  “The content is written by seated trustee Bob Streit and his business partner Dennis Brennan,’’ she said. “They have developed this website. They will take any angle — as long as it’s negative – and throw it out there. You could say nothing — you could show up and smile and they will be like ‘look, she’s doing nothing.’ You do anything and it’s ‘look what she did.’ It’s really disheartening and small-minded.
  “These are people who are really motivated by hate and that’s wrong. I think people are tired of that.’’
  She wasn’t done.
  “I’m a single woman and they’ve called me a lesbian,’’ Bury said. “It’s unbelievable. There is no bottom to the depths they want to drag this. I’m not looking down there. I’m looking ahead. I’m looking forward. We want to nurture and grow and collaborate and develop. It’s not in my playbook to just wallow in this stuff. At first it was hurtful. It’s kind of like the schoolyard bully tactics. It’s pretty aggressive to this day in Oak Lawn. But it’s fine. I’m here to do a job.’’
  Since the Cowardly Blog frequently canonizes Streit, it’s no surprise his name surfaced. Streit would not return calls to find out his association with the blog.
  Bury said that fighting with the blog is in the past.
  “At first I wanted to say ‘they are lying [and] I’m going to do what you did. I’m going to respond to everything.’’’ she said. “I would be up until 2 a.m. typing a response and I wasn’t going to put up with it. Then I realized that if I do this, I’m going to get nothing done and then they win. So they don’t win by being negative. I think they lost. But they would really be victorious if I got nothing accomplished.
  “I’m just going to be aware of them but I’m not going to let them drag me into the mud. I don’t really have an interest in answering every single lie out there. But they are getting really good at it in respect to social media.’’
  Werner chimed in with her displeasure of having Oak Lawn’s soap opera foisted on her via the Cowardly Blog’s e-mails to the world.
  “Every mayor in the Southwest conference gets those silly messages from that organization,” Werner said. “It’s almost as if we signed up for it.’
  This drama could go on for a while. It’s sometimes difficult to tell which side is right and which side is wrong.
  But we do know that one side is more than willing to put their name on what they say and the others are willing to be noble cowards.

New deadlines are here

  I hate to be the bad guy here, but some behind-the-scenes decisions have been made regarding the deadlines of some of our early pages and that affects those of you who want to get us information about your garden clubs, church news, fundraisers and any other worthwhile events you have.
  The Reporter deadlines are at noon on the Friday before the next issue. Some weeks we might be able to go to 3 p.m. Some weeks we won’t. But we have to have it in by Friday.
  For a while we were able to give you better than half a chance on Mondays but that wiggle room is gone.
  So, please, we really want your information. But we really, really want it by noon on Fridays.

 

Palos Hills seeking grant to help restock Pleasure Lake

  • Written by Kelly White

  City of Palos Hills officials they the deep freeze of this winter has taken a toll on fish in their lake and are hoping to restock it this spring.
  They are seeking a grant from ComEd to help fund it.
  ComEd has a Green Region Grant Program to support municipalities, townships and park districts in their efforts to improve public outdoor places. Grants will be for amounts up to $10,000 and this is a matching grant. The Community Resource Department in Palos Hills, after approval at last Thursday’s City Council meeting, submitted an application for the revitalization and fish restocking of Pleasure Lake, located at 10801 S Roberts Rd., calling it the Revitalization and Fish Restocking of Pleasure Lake Project.
  The City of Palos Hills would be matching the ComEd Green Region Grant Program sum of $10,000 if awarded the grant money through the city’s Capital Development Fund. Currently, the city’s Capital Development Fund holds $170,000 to be used for any improvements within the city involving the city’s parks. Mayor Jerry Bennett noted matching the amount, if awarded the grant money, would not be a concern. “We do have that money set aside for our parks,” he said.
  By submitting in the application to the ComEd Green Region Grant Program, the city is committing to the expenditure of matching the funds necessary for the project’s success if the application is approved.
  “The grant, if awarded, would allow us to purchase equipment to aerate the lake to help in combating algae and vegetation, etc.,” Alderman Joe Marrotta (4th Ward) said. “We would also like to stock the lake with several varieties of fish.”
  The purchased fish would include bass and blue gill fish, along with several other varieties of fish. The total fish procurement would only equal out to about an estimated $1,000, Mary Joe Vincent, Commissioner Resource & Recreation Department stated. The remaining amount of the money from the ComEd grant, and matching amount from the Capital Development Fund, would be used for aerators and diffusers to aid in the revitalization of the lake.
  The city council members stressed revitalizing the lake and keeping it clean and sanitary takes priority over the restocking, which is why the cost is higher for the revitalization purposes rather than the restocking of the fish. The lake will be cleared from most of its algae and vegetation, thanks to the revitalization portion of the project, prior to distributing in the new fish into the lake. The entire project will give new life and a new look to Pleasure Lake.

  “Lake Katherine restocks their fish all the time,” Bennett said in support of the ComEd Green Region Grant Program, “Even though that is a deeper lake, we do need to be restocking our lake more often, obviously not to this extreme, but after a winter like this one, restocking the fish in a little excess is probably necessary.”

  The city council also agreed with the concern over the deep freeze of winter affecting this year’s spring fish. The unbearable winter cold has prolonged during this never-ending season, keeping the city’s lakes covered in both ice and frost for a much longer duration of time than previous winter seasons.
  “Restocking our lake after a winter like this one, especially, is definitely a good decision,” Bennett added.

Kustok guilty

  • Written by Tim Hadac

In about the same 90 minutes it took Orland Park resident Allan Kustok to grasp a loaded .357-caliber revolver, shoot his sleeping wife in the face, wrap her body in bloody bed linens and drive her to Palos Community Hospital in the early morning hours of Sept. 29, 2010, jurors in Kustok’s murder trial deliberated, ordered and ate lunch, and then delivered a guilty verdict on Tuesday afternoon.
Kustok, 63, bowed his head when the verdict was read while his sister, Sharon Crooks, sat behind him and wept as jurors were polled to confirm the verdict.
Prosecutors and relatives of the victim, 58-year-old Anita “Jeanie” Kustok, reacted to the guilty verdict with a mixture of faint smiles and tears of relief. They spoke with the press briefly outside the Bridgeview courtroom after the verdict.
“It’s kind of bittersweet that we lost a great sister,” said Jeanie’s brother, John Runko, his eyes tearing up and his voice wavering, as Assistant State’s Attorney Jennifer Gonzalez gave him a reassuring pat on the back. “Nobody wins in this, but I’m just glad that justice was served.” Runko had been a witness for the prosecution, testifying back on Feb. 20 that he was close to his sister and was unaware of any trouble in her marriage.
Runko thanked the prosecution team for doing “a phenomenal job,” and his sentiments were echoed by Jeanie’s sister, Patti Krcmery.
“I’m so indebted to them for everything they’ve done, because they truly showed my sister and how wonderful she was” throughout the four-week trial, Krcmery said.
The jury clearly was not buying Kustok’s longtime contention that his wife had shot herself with the handgun—as on accident or as a suicide— that he claimed to have given her as a 34th anniversary gift in response to her alleged fear of being alone in the house.
During the trial, prosecutors made much of Allan Kustok’s allegedly adulterous ways, portraying him as a good-time Charlie who even joked about his “life of the party” exploits to a hospital nurse on the morning of his wife’s murder, and who received text messages from another woman while he was being quizzed by Orland Park police.
What appeared to be the decisive blow in the prosecution’s case was last week’s testimony by crime scene analyst Rod Englert that the killer had to be someone standing over Jeanie while wearing Allan’s T-shirt, shorts and glasses.
Englert testified on March 4 that the pattern of blood stains in the Kustoks’ Orland Park bedroom made it clear—at least from his analysis—that Jeanie could not have shot herself, deliberately or accidentally.
Further, the victim was reportedly right handed, which would not be consistent with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the left cheek, police said in 2010.
Jurors also apparently brushed aside testimony given Monday by the Kustoks’ daughter, Sarah, that she did think her father killed her mother. Sarah was not in court on Tuesday.
The Kustoks’ children are former standout area athletes Zak and Sarah Kustok, who starred in several sports at Sandburg High School. Zak played quarterback at Northwestern University for three years, while Sarah played basketball at DePaul University, was an anchor for Comcast SportsNet Chicago and currently works for the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets.