Menu

‘I miss you Mom, I miss you so much’

  • Written by Bob Rakow

 Son grieves for mother after Oak Lawn fire claims two lives

  A weekend house fire in Oak Lawn Color-OL-Fire-3-colKathryn Lomac, 73, died after her house on Lawrence Court caught fire. Her caretaker, Mary Bruce, died on Tuesday. Fire fighters from Oak Lawn and several communities extinguished the fire early Saturday morning. Photo by Brigid Rakow.claimed the life of a 73-year-old woman on Saturday and left another woman in critical condition until she died on Tuesday. Kathryn Lomac, 73, was pronounced dead Saturday morning shortly after a 1:30 a.m. blaze at her house in the 10100 block of Lawrence Court, officials said. Her caretaker, 74-year-old Mary Bruce, died at 11:02 a.m. Tuesday at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, according to news reports. There were no smoke detectors in the house and officials have not released the cause of the fire.

  Lomec’s son, Michael, publicly grieved about his mother’s death on his Facebook page. The former Marine gave a heart-tugging tribute to his mother.
  “I miss my mom,” he posted on Sunday. “Why did this happen? Why wasn’t I there why did I not stop this? I should have prevented this. I should have made sure there were operable smoke detectors.
  “I miss Mom. God, I miss Mom. I miss her holding me and telling me she loves me and telling me I am her baby. I miss her holding me and kissing me. I miss hugging her goodbye every time I left and kissing her and telling her I love her. I miss helping her and talking to her and seeing her smile at me every time she saw me. God, I miss my mom. I never knew how much I loved her until this. I want to hold her one more time. Please, God, please I can’t stop thinking of my mom. I miss you Mom, I miss you so much.’’
  Bruce was rescued by firefighters and was in critical condition for two days at Christ Medical Center before she died Tuesday morning.
  A firefighter also was injured while battling the blaze at the single-story home near 103rd Street and Central Avenue. He was treated for minor injuries and released from the hospital.
Firefighters found Lomac in a recliner in the living room of the home, officials said.
  There were no working smoke detectors in the house, said fire officials, who are in the midst of a campaign to promote their use in every home.
  The fire, which is under investigation by the state Fire Marshall, was contained to the living room and does not appear to be suspicious, said fire officials.
  Oak Lawn firefighters were assisted by the units from Alsip, Evergreen Park, Hometown and the North Palos Fire Protection District is extinguishing the fire.
  Funeral arrangements were not available as of Wednesday morning.