Menu

This week in THEREPORTER history

News and events from our archives

50 years ago
Jan. 31, 1963

A Palos Hills husband and wife nearly died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home in the 9000 block of 111th Street Jan. 26. The couple was found by the woman's mother, and they were taken to Christ Hospital with severe carbon monoxide poisoning. Faulty adjustment of baffle plates in a gas space heater spread the fumes throughout the house, police said..

***

Readers of The Reporter were asked to come up with names for two new high schools being built for High School District 218.

One building was a freshman and sophomore school at 129th Street and Ridgeland Avenue, now Alan B. Shepard High School in Palos Heights.

The other building was a junior and senior school at 106th Street and Central Avenue, now Richards High School in Oak Lawn.

25 years ago
Feb. 4, 1988

Carl E. Richards, the father of Regional Publishing owner and publisher Charles Richards, died Jan. 30 in Houston. He was 81.

Richards founded the Regional News in Palos Heights in 1947, and was publisher from 1947 to 1970. The Regional News started as a monthly news booklet by Harwell West, and when he decided to stop publishing it, Carl went to "talk" to him and came home and told his wife, Virginia, that he had bought The Regional News. The first office was the couple's dining room.

***

Palos Hills started a recycling program for bottles and cans. Oak Lawn had a recycling program for six months at the time for bottles, cans and glass.