This week in THE REPORTER history

News and events from our archives

50 years ago
Jan. 17, 1963

Worth village Clerk Mary Plahm resigned after 36 years of service to the village. Plahm received a standing ovation and a bouquet of roses from the Worth Village Board. Trustee Ina Sundquist resigned as a trustee and was appointed to serve as clerk.


Carlton Ihde, 34, who was twice elected to serve as the mayor of Palos Hills, died Jan. 12 of a heart attack. Ihde, who had been diagnosed with cancer, was survived by his wife, Margaret; his sons, Joseph, Peter, Matthew and Samuel; his daughter, Catherine; and his sisters, Roberta Donsbach, Iris Frey and Lois Brunngraber.

25 years ago
Jan. 21, 1988

Community High School District 218 superintendent Eugene Cartwright and assistant superintendent Robert Jewell resigned. The pair resigned in the wake of public outcry against a proposed remapping of the district boundaries, which would allow for the busing in of students from Calumet Park.


A 72-year-old priest burned to death at his Oak Lawn condominium after he reportedly walked too close to a lit stove that ignited the clothing he was wearing.

Father James C. Hurley was pronounced dead at 5:16 p.m. at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn. Father Hurley lived in Cloister Condominiums in the 4900 block of 109th Street. He had served as a priest in Ireland and as an assistant chaplain in Blue Island.

10 years ago
Jan. 17, 2002

Palos Hills' recreation and community services departments were united under one commissioner after an administrative shift by Mayor Gerry Bennett. The parks chief was fired, and was replaced by community resources commissioner Mary Jo Vincent, who will run the department.


Worth agreed to pay $3 million in a settlement to the families of two Justice women who were killed in June 1999 after the car driven by a bank robbery suspect fleeing Worth police struck their car.

Peggy Taylor, 48, and her daughter, Angela Stallworth, 24, died from injuries sustained when the suspects' Cadillac, pursued by Worth police officer Martin Knolmayer, struck their car, propelling it 12 feet into the air. Knolmayer had pursued the suspects - it was later learned they had attempted to cash a fraudulent check - at speeds exceeding 90 miles an hour through Chicago Ridge and into Oak Lawn.