This week in THE REPORTER history

News and events from our archives

50 years ago
Nov. 22, 1962

Marist High School, a Catholic high school for boys, was scheduled to be built at 115th Street just west of Pulaski Road in Chicago. A ground breaking was scheduled for March 1963, and the school was slated to open that September.


A savvy cab company manager in Worth helped police nab a man who was allegedly one of four robbers of Oak Lawn Federal Savings and Loan, 5555 W. 97th St.

A cab company got a call from a man who wanted to be picked up at 103rd Street and Central Avenue and taken to Midway Airport, but the cab manager became suspicious because there were no more flights from Midway scheduled that day. Police located the man and arrested him at 72nd Avenue and State Road in Burbank.

The men took $27,500 in the robbery.

25 years ago
Nov. 26, 1987

A Chicago Ridge police officer helped apprehend two men who allegedly kidnapped a man from Burbank and tried to force him to jump off a bridge, police said.

The 21-year-old man allegedly owed the two men $100 for flowers he sold on street corners, and when he did not have the money they attempted to force him to jump off of a bridge near Maple Lake. A Chicago Ridge police officer heard about the incident over a police radio and saw a van matching the description given by police on Archer Avenue. The officer and officers from Palos Hills followed the van and arrested the two men.

10 years ago
Nov. 21, 2002

The Moraine Valley Community College board of trustees was considering building a gated student apartment complex on the school’s campus in Palos Hills.

One proposal was a three-building complex with two five-story buildings and one three-story building containing a total of 113 units. Moraine Valley officials began considering student housing after a 2000 survey in which 89 percent of students said they saw a need for student housing.


Palos East Elementary School was placed on lock down Nov. 15 as police searched the area for two men who had fled on foot after police began chasing the vehicle they had been riding in near the school, 7700 W. 127th Street.

The chase began at 8:26 a.m. and the school was given the “all clear” by police at 9:45 a.m. One man was quickly caught, and the other man fled through residential backyards before he was caught, police said.