Husband killed estranged wife, self in Orland Park: cops say

By Kevin Smith

The deaths of a couple found dead in the slain wife’s home in Orland Park on July 17 were ruled a murder-suicide by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Angelo Lolis, 55, and his estranged wife Karen Lolis, 48, were pronounced dead at 2:15 p.m. by the medical examiner, after police found the couple in the garage of the wife’s home in the 17100 block of Highwood Drive. The medical examiner ruled that the case was a murder-suicide following an autopsy performed on Wednesday last week.

Police believe that Angelo Lolis killed his spouse, from whom he was separated, in the garage around the time she was leaving her home between 3 and 4 a.m. to go to work as a Transportation Security Administration screener at Midway Airport.

Angelo then used a handgun taken from his father’s home in Hickory Hills to shoot himself in the chest after attacking Karen, Orland Park police Cmdr. John Keating said. The handgun was recovered at the scene, he added.

Karen Lolis died as a result of a neck injury; Angelo Lolis died of the single gunshot wound, according to the medical examiner.

Prior to the discovery of the couple’s bodies, Orland Park police received a call from Hickory Hills police at 10:12 a.m. Tuesday last week requesting a well-being check to be conducted at the address in the 17100 block of Highwood Drive in Orland Park where police found them both dead, according to Cmdr. Keating.

Hickory Hills Police related they were searching for a 55-year-old male who had left a suicide note at the home of his parents in Hickory Hills.

Detectives have learned that Angelo and Karen were in the process of a divorce proceeding and that Angelo was living with his parents in Hickory Hills at the time of the slaying, Keating said. Police had been called to the Orland Park residence on May 3 and May 8 for verbal arguments between the two, but no arrests were made, Keating said.

The couple is survived by three daughters ages 19, 17 and 16, who all live at the home on Highwood Drive. None of the daughters was home at the time of the murder, as they were visiting relatives in the Chicago area, Keating said.