The Center Cinema
"Nebraska" will be shown this at 6 p.m. this Friday, Aug. 1, as part of the monthly Center Cinema series at The Center, 12700 Southwest Highway, Palos Park.
"Nebraska" features Bruce Dern as an aging, difficult dad. A discussion follows the movie. Free popcorn is served. No fee is charged but pre-registration is necessary. Call The Center at 361-3650.
class for families
An art class for families will be hosted at the Log Cabin Center for the Arts on Wednesday, Aug. 6, from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. The Log Cabin Art Center is located at 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park.
Instructor Heather Young invites families with children of any age to combine magazine images to create interesting naturescape collages. The class fee is $ 8 per person and includes all supplies. Advance reservations are required. Call The Center at 361-3650.
Meditation opportunities are offered every Tuesday evening, 5:30 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, 9 a.m., at The Center, 12700 Southwest Highway in Palos Park.
Pastoral director Chris Hopkins and hospitality manager Winnie Brock organize these 20-minute periods of silent meditation, offer guidance to those new to the practice of meditation, and welcome anyone to join. Call 361-3650 for information.
The Bridge Teen
• Gardening — 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. today (Thursday), The Bridge Teen Center, 15555 S. 71st Court, Orland Park, host a program with Alsip Nursery to teach students the proper way to plant and maintain a garden.
• Flatbread Pizzas — 4 to 5:30 p.m. today, The Bridge Teen Center culinary with Granite City to teach students how to make delicious flatbread pizza with homemade sauces.
• Girls Night In — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. this Friday, Aug. 1, annual Girls Night In event focuses on inner and outer beauty through a variety of stations. Students will experience a night that is uplifting, encouraging, and meaningful. All girls will take home a favor bag filled with high-quality lotions, perfume, hair accessories, and more. RSVP is required.
• Guys Night Out — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Aug. 2, annual Guys Night Out event. Students will enjoy a fun-filled night with burgers, games, competitions and guy-to-guy talks. RSVP is required.
• Electric Guitar — 5 to 6 p.m. Aug. 5, 12 and 19, program with Tone Wolf Music, to teach students the basics of the electric guitar.
• Stress Busters — 2 to 3 p.m. Aug. 5, will teach students how to manage their stress in order to have a great school year.
• Inspirational Locker Art —4:30-5:30 p.m. Aug. 5, art program for students to create a piece of art to hang in their locker.
• Middle School Meet-N-Greet —2 to 3 p.m. Aug. 6, meet-n-greet for middle school students to make an ice cream sundae and play games with students from their school.
• Get Organized for School — 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 6, program for students to create an organizational system that prevents them from misplacing assignments.
• High School Meet-N-Greet — 2 to 3 p.m. Aug. 7, meet-n-greet for high school students to make an ice cream sundae and play games with students from their school.
• Yoga in the Park — 4 to 5:45 p.m. Aug. 7, combines the benefits of yoga with the relaxation of being outdoors.
These free events are for teens in 7th through 12th grade. For more information, call, 532-0500.